Tuesday, July 20, 2010

Much Anticipated

Some parents say it is toy guns that make boys warlike.
But give a boy a rubber duck and he will seize its neck
like the butt of a pistol and shout "Bang!"


-George F. Will

Will has been talking about getting a Nerf Gun for months. All of his friends have them. I just wanted to wait as long as possible before these particular guns entered the house. All my excuses were used up. Last week, I caved and told him he could buy one with his own money. We shopped online together and he chose a good one, then ordered it from Amazon.

It was a long week of waiting. He talked about it constantly.

Yesterday, it came. I have never seen him so thrilled to receive a toy. I must say, it is rather fun.

And, yes, last night after the kids were in bed, my husband and I shot at each other's books while we read. It is that fun.

(My husband's current read, on the other hand, is a little depressing.)

5 comments:

  1. We have a HUGE arsenal of nerf guns...they are in constant use. Love them, even though I do tire of finding nerf darts EVERYWHERE! At least they don't hurt when you step on them...

    ReplyDelete
  2. I hope you realize... you can't stop with just one! Like Kit, we have MANY, and yes, I find little orange and blue darts *everywhere.* I guess that's just how it goes :) Welcome to the club!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ha, ha - we bought these nerf guns for our boys for Christmas and it was constantly a major attack on daddy. SOOOO, we just had to buy a fourth gun so daddy could defend himself :o) !!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I also meant to say that your quote is so very true. My husband tells of when he and his brothers were young and they had all their guns taken away by their mom for misusing them. They raided their sister's Barbie dolls, cocked a leg back and used Barbie as their gun.

    We just yesterday received three cowboy pistols in the mail via Amazon, holster and all. Three happy cowboys...

    ReplyDelete
  5. I tried to hold off on guns for my boys too which is ironic since I bought nerf guns for my husband when we were first married and we used to have regular 'battles'! :)

    And your so right, they will turn just about anything into a gun. Recently we flew into Oklahoma and my son couldn't stop talking about how it is shaped like a gun...

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin