Thursday, April 23, 2009

Monet's Garden

Our back garden is not nearly as lovely as Monet's. But with the dogwoods blooming and the azaleas about to explode, we just had to get out there and paint. Just like Mr. Monet.


Monet will be the last artist we will study this year. Will has asked if we can go to Giverny. Now that's my kind of field trip. Depending on how busy our May is, I'm hoping to take the kids to visit a famous garden or two - Longwood Gardens, US Botanic Garden, or maybe the National Arboretum (which will all fit in nicely with our science studies - Plants and Flowers). We'll finish our school year with a big trip to the National Gallery of Art.

A few of our favorite Monet books...

Love the Katie books!

5 comments:

  1. I love all the field trips you take w/your kids!

    I don't run too much in the winter. I have a treadmill, so I do a little on there, but it is so boring. It seems like I start all over again every spring. We get so much ice here too, so it is pretty dangerous to run outside and it's just too COLD for me. :)

    Let me know if you are on facebook and I will continue to read your blog. You have been such an encouragement to me!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'd like to go on that Giverny field trip too :) We went to Longwood while we were visiting Phil's parents and LOVED it! I definitely recommend it, lots of fun stuff for kids (tree houses, children's gardens, passports to "stamp" as you go through the conservatory and a really fun gift shop). I wish we lived closer!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love the book Linnea in Monet's Garden. Have you read Charlotte in Giverny by Joan MacPhail Knight? There is also a Charlotte in Paris (and a Charlotte in New York...). I bet your daughter would love them.

    I'm impressed with all your fine art activities. I think my boys would enjoy more hands-on art. We'll have to work on that this summer. Thanks for the inspiration.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you for all these wonderful book ideas! You gave me some great ideas for our homeschool.

    ReplyDelete
  5. We are going to be starting our artist studies next year in second grade. I think it's going to be so much fun. Your blog inspired me to give it a whirl, so thanks!

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin