This is my third time teaching first grade. So at the beginning of the year, I sat down do get started with Peter on what first grade looks like around here. After a few weeks, I decided to make some changes. Each change proved to be a perfect fit for Peter. Just one of the million things I love about homeschooling: a custom-fit education.
Peter : 1st Grade
- Math-U-See, Alpha. We started the year using Saxon 2, but switched to Math-U-See and the change has been a perfect fit. He loves it!
- I still do a Saxon-like "Math Meeting" with him everyday - working with weather graphs, the calendar, skip counting, money, telling time, math facts, patterns, etc.
- All About Reading, Levels 1 and 2. This program is brilliant and so easy to use. We have both enjoyed the readers more than any others I have found - beautifully illustrated, sweet stories.
- Expode the Code workbooks. This is one thing that all my kids have enjoyed. Solid phonics reinforcement. I just subscribed to Explode the Code Online for some extra "fun" practice. Peter is loving his new computer time.
- First Language Lessons for the Well-Trained Mind: Level 1. I have used this for all 3 - love it.
- A Reason for Handwriting: Level A
- Poetry Memorization
- Lots of reading aloud to me (or Hannah or Will).
Post a Comment