Wednesday, May 5, 2010

Boca Grande : 1000 Gifts


We arrived home yesterday from a beautiful week in Florida. Feeling a little dreamy, and so very thankful, the gift list goes on...

0282
Sand between toes.

0283
Jasmine scented air.

0284
Shells in my pockets.


0285
Sunscreen.

0286
Bikes with baskets.

0287
Sun hats.

0288
Flip-flops.

0289
Goggles.

0290
Ice cream parlors.


0291
Waffle cones.

0292
Dinners out.

0293
Babysitting grandparents.

0294
The outdoor terrace at The Gasparilla Inn. A beautiful, afternoon date.


0295
Sunsets on the Gulf.

0296
Seeing the stars. Away from the city.

0297
Happy jumps in the pool.


0298
Sea wet hair.

0299
Drip castles.

0300
Sunglasses.

0301
Manatees, turtles, ospreys, iguanas...


0302
Buckets and shovels.

0303
Wind through the palm trees.

0304
Bougainvillea. Everywhere.

0305
My in-laws.

0306
Grandparent love.

0307
Celebrating Papa's 70th.

0308
Dinner on the porch.

0309
Sand in my suitcase.

0310
Sunscreen-scented laundry.

0311
Getting to meet a talented illustrator.**

0312
The view as you fly into National Airport.

0313
Home.


** As I sat on the plane in Sarasota waiting to come home, a man with a big, black portfolio took the seat next to me. I inquired. And he tells me he is a children's book illustrator. I ask more, and he humbly starts to mention a few books he has illustrated. Hannah is on the other side of me (equally excited and interested by this man). It was Frank Remkiewicz (of the Froggy books, Horrible Harry, some Mathstart books, some Curious George, the Animal Crackers box, etc...). He very kindly pulled several pieces from his portfolio to show us. He showed us the process from receiving the text, to story boards, to publishers' edits. Hannah was able to read through a few books he is working on now. "You are the first kid to ever read this book," he told her. My book-loving, want-to-be-an-author-when-I-grow-up, budding artist was in a dreamland (as was I). What a fun 2 hour plane trip!


holy experience

3 comments:

  1. Sounds like such a great time! I love your list, and how awesome to sit next to the illustrator on the plane!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Jen that is just the coolest about the illustrator!!! Let's look at a Tues/Thurs in the next week or so.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sounds like a *lovely* get-away from top to bottom... and a perfect way to usher in summer! There's just nothing like the beach in May :)

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin