Wednesday, March 4, 2009

Beans

We eat a lot of beans around here... you know, very recession chic.

I have always been intimidated by those bags of dried beans at the store. No real reason... just plain ignorance about soaking and such. The canned version - at least 3 or 4 cans a week - is what I always bought. Well, when the price of a can went over a dollar... I became determined to get over my dried bean fear.

Another thing about me... I love my crock pot.

So, imagine my excitement when I found this at A Year of Crockpotting.

I have done it twice now. No problem.


Some math... A bag of organic dried black beans is $1.99. Canned organic black beans are $1.29. I don't always buy organic, but that's what I have here. I got 6 cups from the bag! There are only 1.5 cups in the can. My rough calculations... I'm saving over $150 a year on beans. And with a lot less waste.

Feeling very frugal. Very domestic. Very excited about $150 more to spend on books. : )

4 comments:

  1. This is brilliance. I had some awesome bean soup today:) with (originally) dried beans!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have alwaya been afraid of dried beans...not sure what they would taste like or if I could even do it! Crock-pots are my friend though so I will have to check it out! Thanks for sharing. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for the savings advice!!! My hesitation is the planning ahead part as I'm usually a last minute dinner planner and preparer...something I am working on.

    ReplyDelete
  4. lol...exactly what i would have said..more money to spend on books! i cook up huge batches of beans and just keep them in the freezer..the 'broth' also makes a good base for stews and chilies!

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin