Monday, August 25, 2008

Our School Room

Our School Room is an interesting space. There are a lot of doors. Because this is the room you enter from the garage, it also functions as a mudroom of sorts. It's the first room you see when you come in the front door. And it's a walk through to the kitchen. So, I needed to keep a lot of open space for traffic patterns. Thankfully, we had the bookshelves built last year (several months before we ever considered homeschooling!). Who knew how perfect they would be for our homeschool? God! : )
The one window looks out to the backyard. It's perfect for keeping track of backyard play while I'm sitting here on the computer. The cabinets are full of puzzles, math manipulatives, files, and the printer.

The red cabinet is the "craft cabinet" - just full of the basics like crayons, glue, markers, and paper. All the serious supplies are in the basement cabinets. We love that map. I was going to have it framed this summer... waaaay to expensive. It's thumb tacked to the wall. That door is to the garage.

The secretary desk never functions as a desk, just a catch all. The door to the right of the secretary opens to the foyer. The door to the left of it opens to the kitchen. And through that door is the basement door. And the other door, next to the red cabinet, is the coat closet - full of shoes, bags, and coats soon enough. How's that for a tour of doors?

Boxes for the countless works of art created daily.

Hannah and Will have their own sections of the bookshelf.
Hannah on the left. Will on the right.

I think we're ready!
First grade and Pre-K start tomorrow at our house!

*** update 8.10.09 Darcy's Not-Back-to-School Blog Hop ***
We are lounging around the pool in Florida, so these are last year's photos.

*** update 8.13.10 ***
More updated photos can be found here.

24 comments:

  1. wow - that room is wonderful! ours is at the kitchen table right now. :)
    i think i need another bookshelf again this year, maybe we will build something like yours - that is great!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, Jen! Yeah for you guys! Hope school is off to a great start!
    Okay, where you'd get the colored boxes to store art? I need those.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It looks great! How's your first day of school going? We start next week!

    ReplyDelete
  4. looks awesome!! you have been working hard and it has paid off. I can't wait to hear all about your homeschool activities!!
    Can you come make me a room like that???

    ReplyDelete
  5. Gorgeous school room!! I would have loved to have a room like that to learn in as a child! Loving all your latest posts!

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a nice open space you have! I love your notebooks that you have prepared for the kids!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Your school room is awesome! I must give credit to Heidi at Mt. Hope Chronicles for leading me to your blog.

    If you don't mind, I'm going to link you as a blog I'd like to keep up with. We have similar aged kiddos and choices for curriculum.

    PS Your pencil cake was adorable...!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Fabulous! Thanks for sharing & I can't wait to see updated pictures.
    I love the wall system & little table. It's so NOT messy! :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. What a perfect room! Those built in book shelves are great!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Beautiful Room! Have a wonderful ^NOT Back to school Year! :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Wow such a beautiful space! Glad to have found you as we have a lot in common. Enjoy Florida!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I love your room, it looks spacious and peaceful!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Great room! Love the built ins!

    ReplyDelete
  14. love those shelves. what a beautiful room!

    ReplyDelete
  15. I love your built in shelves!!! I want something similar one day. Thanks for sharing on the Blog Hop.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Beautiful room - looks like a peaceful place to learn....

    Jamie

    ReplyDelete
  17. Beautiful room! Love the built-ins and the little table!

    ReplyDelete
  18. "The number of books has changed..."

    lol! Isn't that the truth. they seem to multiply, don't they??

    Thanks for joining in on the NBTS Blog Hop!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Wow! I love the bookshelf and the room!

    ReplyDelete
  20. I love this room! Is it always this clean and organized?

    ReplyDelete
  21. I LOVE the window to the backyard that you can see from your computer desk. That is exactly what I need! Mentally filing it in my dream home plans.

    ReplyDelete
  22. I am so into your schoolroom. I am a 'clean lines' kinda girl so I love it!

    I am on the hunt for bookshelf ideas and I like the looks of yours. I will be back to show my hubby.

    ReplyDelete
  23. I love the white shelves against the yellow walls! Beautiful.... We're moving into a rental and our school room will be the dining room table... I'm going to have to get really creative with all of our book shelves!

    ReplyDelete
  24. You could probably buy some trim pieces fairly inexpensively at the hardware store and have the store cut them to fit and then nail them around the map straight into the wall. Just a thought. Kelly

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin