Friday, September 24, 2010

Marathon

I'm training for my first Marathon.

Running has been a love of mine for many years. I have run in several 10-milers and half-marathons, always playing with the idea of training for the Marine Corps Marathon. For some reason, this year was the year to do it.

When I threw the idea at my husband several months ago, he was enthusiastic and encouraging. He knows running keeps me sane makes me happy... and having something that is not kid-homeschool-church related is an energizing outlet. He sweetly gave me a Garmin Forerunner for our anniversary. When Hannah asked what he had gotten me, I loved his response, "A big, ugly watch." He knew I would love it. I do.


And I have loved all those hours of quiet, Saturday mornings along the Potomac, watching the miles grow, and feeling stronger with each run. Tomorrow, our schedule has me running 19 between soccer games and after my husband gets back in town. These long training runs are getting harder to fit into our weekends... and just plain LONG. I'm also a bit tired of running before the sun is up during the week. But the end is in sight - only a little over a month to go!

I have loved (almost) every mile.

4 comments:

  1. So excited for you! You'll do awesome!

    I love my Garmin so much, I can't imagine running without it now.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Jen - If I'm around we'll come cheer you on! So proud of you - L

    ReplyDelete
  4. How exciting! I totally understand your love for running. I ran my first 1/2 marathon this year and can't wait to train for another one. I agree with the sanity part too. :) Best wishes for the rest of your training!

    Love your blog!

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin