Next year, Hannah will be in 3rd, Will in 1st, and Peter in Pre-K.
And almost daily, I beg them to stop growing.
I did a lot of research before I arrived, so I had my choices narrowed down. There is just so much out there I would love to do with the kids.
Here's the plan so far...
Hannah : 3rd grade
- Saxon 5/4. This works well for us, despite the dryness. She is excited about doing it more independently next year.
- Grammar: First Language Lessons 3
- Writing: Institute for Excellence in Writing. This was a big decision. I camped out at their booth and asked a zillion questions. Very excited to get started with this!
- Spelling: Sequential Spelling 3. This is a change for us. It just makes sense to me... more so than other spelling programs we have used.
- Vocabulary: Wordly Wise 3
- Poetry: pulling from many beautiful books on our shelf.
- Cursive: A Reason for Handwriting D
- Hannah will continue to meet with her Latin class weekly (taught by a homeschooling mom/former high school Latin teacher).
Will : 1st grade
- Saxon 2. I already had it, so I went with it. If it's not a good fit, we'll go back to Horizons.
- Grammar: First Language Lessons 1
- Explode the Code: starting with Book 2 1/2
- Spelling: I am going to wait on buying something separate for spelling. We will use his Explode the Code words to start.
- Handwriting: A Reason for Handwriting B
Character through Literature: Beautiful Feet Books (we have all the books, I only bought the study guide)
- Apologia's Exploring Creation : Botany
- Hikes, Nature Center programs, and exploring in the afternoons.
- Bible Study: I'm not settled on what we will be studying.
- Scripture Memory
- Composer studies starting with these books on Brahms / Schubert and then continuing on in this series.
- Hymn studies
- Piano lessons
- Choir at church
- Kennedy Center field trips
- I will put together a schedule of artist studies and projects before the year begins. And hopefully I will stick to it.
- Homeschool co-op art class.
Peter : Pre-K
This was a hard decision, but Peter will be going to a morning preschool program next year. It is a wonderful school with two fantastic Pre-K teachers. A couple of his buddies will be in his class. He is thrilled!